Improve English & sound polished by replacing ‘very’
An average person is estimated to know only about 6-12% of the entire vocabulary of words in the English language! What is even more surprising is that we don’t even use a lot of the words that we know. More often than not, we tend to use qualifiers such as “very” and “more” with other words to describe things that could have been better described using other words – very tired instead of exhausted, very happy instead of elated, very fast instead of quick.
One forgets words as one forgets names. One’s vocabulary needs constant fertilizing or it will die.
– Evelyn Waugh
The problem with using “very” is that it makes you appear lazy. It makes you appear less smart. Mediocre. So leverage the power of English language and don’t get “very” addicted!
Here we present 10 simple words that you should use instead of using the qualifier “very”.
1. Replace Very Happy with Ecstatic
2. Replace Very Tasty with Delicious
3. Replace Very Bad with Terrible or Atrocious
4. Replace Very Pretty with Gorgeous
5. Replace Very Worried with Anxious
6. Replace Very Valuable with Precious
7. Replace Very Clever with Brilliant
8. Replace Very Scared with Petrified
9. Replace Very Hungry with Starving
10. Replace Very Stupid with Idiotic
11. Replace Very Tired with Exhausted
12. Replace Very Fast with Quick
13. Replace Very Small with Tiny
14. Replace Very Big with Immense
15. Replace Very Ugly with Hideous
16. Replace Very Capable with Accomplished
17. Replace Very Conventional with Conservative
18. Replace Very Fierce with Ferocious
19. Replace Very Risky with Perilous